1988 – PRESENT
MECHANICAL LAB TECH, KAISER ALUMINUM
Starting as a laborer in the Kaiser Mead Smelter I worked in all capacities of work in the potrooms. Worked as an over the road metal transporter until a labor dispute in 1998. Returned from layoff to the Trentwood works in 2004.
5/2012 -PRESENT Clerical and Technical Unit Chairman for USW Local 338.
2016 – PRESENT Delegate to Spokane Regional Labor Council for USW 338.
1999 – 2004
POTROOM SUPERVISOR, ALCOA ALUMINUM
Began as Team Process leader in Magnesium smelter Addy Wa. Transferred to NY as Salaried supervisor responsible for the safety and productivity of union potroom workers in Massena West/East aluminum smelters.
1994 AA, SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
1979 HIGH SCHOOL, GONZAGA PREP
- Organize and manage to meet objectives
- Drive continuous improvement • Facilitate and encourage collaboration
- Conflict resolution
My wife and I breed and raise registered Angus cattle on our ranch in Chattaroy. We belong to several cattle organizations along with Arabian horse groups. We utilize artificial insemination and genetic testing, working with a goal to breed the most efficient and productive cow we can.
Spokane County Democrats 2018 Partisan Certification /Endorsement Questionnaire
- Why are you a Democrat? Are you known as a Democrat? If not, explain.
While new to the Democratic party and politics in general, I fully support the Democratic platform and believe it offers the best path forward for running our state.
- How long have you been registered to vote? Have you missed any elections in the past three years?
I have been registered to vote since 1979 and have not missed an election in the past three years.
- Do you support the Spokane County Democratic Platform, Why or Why Not? (see http://www.spokanedemocrats.org)
I was a member of the 2018 Democratic Platform committee for the 4th LD and support the SCDP.
- What ratings or endorsements have you received to date?
None to date
- Do you support the right of workers (excluding military) to bargain and strike? I am a member of USW Local 338 and have been on strike and locked out for two years.
I support the rights of organized labor.
- Do you support affirmative action?
- What role should government play in the healthcare system?
I believe that Healthcare is a right of every citizen and every human, citizen or not. We fund a national freeway system, a national defense, a postal system among we can fund a national healthcare system.
- Do you support a woman’s right to choose?
- What is the main message of your campaign?
Washington can be a model for our country in supporting employers that provide living wages with benefits. We can do that by focusing on funding education and apprenticeships. We need an educated and skilled workforce to rebuild and expand our infrastructure which will spur growth and future opportunity for the next generation. Washington can be an example of what can be accomplished when elected leaders reject fear and intolerance and work together.
- What are the 3 most pressing issues facing your jurisdiction?
Expanding Job opportunities, supporting existing jobs. Planning for future growth and meeting transportation needs. Creating a condition of trust between the public and their elected representative, where everyone feels valued, that their opinions matter and that their representative is responsive to their concerns.
- List the contributions you have made to the Inland Northwest of which you are most proud.
I supported my union in an effort to keep a major employer treating employees fairly and negotiated a bargaining agreement that provides for fair wages and benefits.
- Regardless of the race outcome, will you remain involved in your local Democratic Party?
- If you are a candidate in a contested primary race, and if you do not receive the nomination, is there any reason why you will not support your Democratic opponent in the General Election?
- Is there anything in your past that if promoted by the media or an opposing party would prove particularly embarrassing to you or the Democratic Party?
No, nothing. I am extremely proud of the life I have lived and I continue to work to be a better human being.
- Candidate Verification offers a service to assist in verifying accuracy of background information you provide. We encourage you to look into this option. Would you consider this?
Yes, I will
- Have you ever been convicted of a crime? “If so please explain “
- What else would you like us to know about you? You may attach a current resume.